David Pierce - National Instruments - 1996-2003
- Manager: Lookout development team. Lookout is a SCADA
control and data acquisition) software package used for industrial
automation and process control.
- Technical Lead: Logos, NI's internal suite of
industrial-automation, networking protocols for real-time data,
historical data, and alarms.
- Technical Lead: Citadel,
NI's database for the logging of historical data and alarms.
While at NI I adopted a "transparent" management style, in which it
was my policy to document and make publicly available everything one
to be productive on my team. This had several benefits:
- It forced me to document procedures, with the result that I
better understood them myself.
- It made it easier for a new employee to quickly come up to speed.
- It meant that the team could function uninterrupted when I was
By this I mean the development of procedures and templates on which
subsequent developers build. Examples:
- Developing a set of C++ templates used to implement programming
- Developing a set of C++ templates to facilitate the use of shared
- Developing templates for documents used to define requirements,
designs, and tests.
- Leading the development of core networking and database
technologies for NI's industrial-automation software.